Sunday, October 26, 2014

Life sure can throw a curve ball when least expected. 
Here we are about to embark on yet another venture.
I am looking forward to it although I am sure it won't go nearly as 
smoothly as I hope. 
The best thing about this whole thing is that
I will really get to use my creativity
to the fullest.
We have pulled our son, Titus, out of public school.
We did not make a hasty decision,
it is one that we discussed for quite sometime,
unsure how things would turn out in middle school.
You see Titus has autism and he struggles academically.
What we didn't know going into 6th grade-our
school system's middle school-
is that if the student can't keep up on grade level
they are pulled off of diploma track. There is minimal help
and in reality there isn't any support, except having an
 aide sit there and keep the child on track.
If that is unsuccessful then the brow beating begins and 
we just want so much more for our son.
Of course that means I am giving up my job in order to stay home.
The irony of it is that the school system has much trouble 
finding and keeping subs and other support staff.
And yet because we weren't fully made aware of 
the expectations, they are going to loose one more employee.
I realize I am not at all perfect, but I love kids and 
can manage them quite well. In fact this is why I 
was offered the Title One Aide position.
It also allowed the school to put me in a classroom if no
other sub picked up the job.

We have a daughter in 7th grade that does quite well
for herself and understands what the boundaries
with the school are. She knows when they are prying and 
realizes there are times when the school is
trying to get more information out of kids than is healthy. 

We are making many preparations including the obvious like 
choosing curriculum-or shall we say what course of learning we 
will embark on, rearranging the house and adjusting schedules.
Hang on tight because we are ready for take off!!!

No comments: